Saturday, February 11, 2017

INFJ Representing

Music: Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin
            Love Lost by The Temper Trap
            On & On by Plts

"Well, I'm an introvert so-"

"Wait. What?! You're an introvert?! I would have never have guessed it! But-but... you like talk to people, and do things...outside...and with other people! You seem so... friendly!"

How many times have I had this conversation? Way too many. No seriously, way too many times.

And honestly, I'm a bit tired of it. So to all you people out there that I've had this conversation with, it's time for a little education.

Ready?

Here it is (prepare to have your mind blown):

NOT ALL INTROVERTS ARE CREATED EQUAL.



I KNOW!! Crazy isn't it?!

In all seriousness, if you didn't know this, it's okay. Only about 4 or 5 years ago, I had the same mindset. I didn't know where I fit in! I knew I was an introvert, but I really didn't fit the stereotypical "never talks to anyone, always wants to be alone, doesn't want anything to do with people in real life, lives in their parents basement, and can't hold a decent conversation with anyone" that's always portrayed in tv and movies.

I have introverted tendencies, but not everything about me is "classic" introvert..

I like talking to people. (Though if you talk to me for any length of time there is sure to be at least one awkward moment in the conversation. Just a warning.), but I like listening to people more.

I don't live in a basement, but I can't handle having more than one roommate

I like helping people, but I prefer to do it behind the scenes. Example: At a wedding, I won't be the person making sure everyone is having a good time and trying to get them on the dance floor. (And please, for the love of Dean and Sam, don't try to get me on the dance floor. Manda no dancey in public, mmmkay?) I'll be the person clearing tables, and refilling the appetizer trays.

I like going to group activities, but only if I know there is someone else there that I know really well. (And I have to continually lecture myself not to latch on to them, and follow them around like a sad puppy.) I'll also probably be the first person to go home, because my brain is screaming at me for a bit of quiet.

I like making everyone feel welcome, but I only truly open up to a select few.

I get easily lost in my own little world, but I also observe really well. Sometimes to the point of creepily knowing what people will say before they say it.

I'm quiet, but get me around people I feel comfortable with? It can be scary how annoying and loud I can get.

I like spending time with people, but I love me my alone time.

My perfect evening involves making a bite of dinner followed by binge session of Supernatural, then a little Tumblr/Pinterest blogging time, maybe a little writing, and topped off with yelling at the cat.

But my perfect evening can also be a dinner and coffee date with my besties, or it could be going to a movie with my family.

I like being nice, but if you're trying to schmooze me, sell me on something, or if I decide I just don't care for you, oh boy! The ice queen comes out, and I will dig in my heels so deep and stonewall until the cows come home.

Talk about feeling confused! I felt like an enigma wrapped in a mystery swaddled in a conundrum. Hence why people always seem baffled by me.

This went on until the middle brother told me about a test he had taken that identified him as an introvert too. The test was the Meyers-Briggs personality test. So I figured what the heck, and I decided to take it myself.

I'm sure a few of you have heard of the Meyers-Briggs personality test. If not, it's a series of questions you answer, and at the end it will tell you not only if you're an extrovert or introvert, but also what personality type you are. Did you know that there are 16 possible personality types! Whaaaaaaaaa???

After taking it, I found out that I'm an INFJ.

Now you may be saying "A what? You're a jumble of letters?"

Let me break it down for you:

I - Introverted - Duh.
N - iNtuitive - The ability to know what people are going to say before they say it and if                                              you're trying to sell me on something.
F - Feeling - Helping, Friendly, Caring. Empathetic.
J - Judging - Stubbornness (to which my family says a hearty amen), Punctuality, Task focused.


Finding out that I'm an INFJ was one of the most illuminating experiences ever. Someone finally put it into words what I'd been feeling all this years. Thank heavens!

Here's a little infograph about my personality.



It doesn't make me any weirder, oh lawdy, not all, but at least I understand myself more.

(So much truth)

I finally feel like I have a handle on who I am. A lot of the time, I still feel like I'm out of place, but at least I know that there are others out there like me. Praise the Lord, for me, but, I'm so sorry to the rest of world that there are more weirdos out there like me.

But you what? I'm an INFJ, and I'm good with that.

INFJ in the da house, yo.


P.S. If you're interested in taking the Meyer's Briggs test yourself, here the link to the same test I took: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

P.P.S. If you do take the test, please feel free to share your personality type with me. I would love to hear your results!

No comments:

Post a Comment